Starting from June 12-14 the Mets continued their road trip against the Tampa Bay Rays for a 3 game set. The Mets swept the Rays as Mets starter R.A. Dickey got a 1 hitter on June 13 by getting an unearned run on a David Wright error. Here is the series recap.
The Mets won to a score of 11-2 and broke out big in the 7th inning by scoring 6 runs on a Ike Davis 3 run homerun which broke the game open. Here are the notes of the game.
- Chris Young got his first win as he pitched 5 2/3 innings as he allowed 2 runs.
- Jordany Valdespin had 4 RBI's in which 3 came with 2 outs.
- Ike Davis hit a 3 run homerun in the 7th inning.
The Mets continued their stretch as the beat the Rays 9-1. R.A. Dickey pitched the second one hitter of his career. However the run came in when Wright made an error while trying to make a bare handed play which was also scored as a hit. For more on the one hit bid see Dickey One Hits Rays. Here are the notes of the game.
- Dickey pitched all 9 innings. He retired 22 batters as he struck out 12 (career high) batters. His scoreless streak ended at 32 2/3 innings (Mets Record).
- He is now 10-1 with the most wins in baseball.
- The Met got 14 hits. Andres Torres with 3 and 2 each from Daniel Murphy, Ike Davis and Mike Nickeas.
- The Mets were 7 for 14 with runners in scoring position, as six different hitters drove in runs.
The Mets went on to sweep the Rays by winning to a score of 9-6. The Mets jumped out early as Kirk Nieuwenhuis had his first 2 homerun game of his career.
- Johan Santana gave up 4 runs, 4 walks, and 6 hits in 5 plus innings of work.
- Kirk had the first homerun in a solo shot in the 1st and a 2 run shot in the 4th.
- Jon Rauch retired 3 batters he faced after coming into the 6th inning with the bases loaded and no outs.
- The Rays loaded the bases to bring the winning run up to the plate in the ninth inning.
- The Mets swept an American League opponent for just the third time since the start of inter-league play.